Sunday, January 16, 2011

So True

I'm currently reading Brit-Think, Ameri-Think by Jane Walmsley.  Firstly, it's hilarious.  Secondly, it's SO true!  Thirdly, you have to have actually lived in both cultures to fully appreciate all of the illustrations, but I thought this was worth sharing.  It is completely accurate.

Spring
American definition:  three months between mid-March and mid-June when you put your winter coat away.
British definition:  a time when you switch off all forms of central heating, but it remains as cold as January.

Summer
American def: when you turn on air-conditioning
British def:  the rain gets warmer

Drought
American def:  crops die; animals in danger; water-reserves low; dust-bowl time.
British def:  two consecutive days without downpour

Hot
American def:  high 70s Fahrenheit, upwards
British def: a glimmer of light appears between cloud masses, beach-type attire appears where there are no beaches; term also describes the interior temperature of any room which has all the windows closed.

Unbearable
American def:  scorcher; 100F
British def:  low 70s F; or more than 10 minutes in the room with the windows closed.

The amazing thing is that both cultures fully and completely embrace their definition of the word.  And the scary thing is that I now think the 60s F is warm, so there's a possibility that when I return to Tennessee just in time for the summer that I may have switched to the British definition of unbearable.  Oh well, I've worn a sweater continuously for almost three years now, what's another three months as I shiver in the air-conditioning to avoid the "unbearable" weather outside?

No comments: