Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Comforting Aroma of McDonald's

I don't really like McDonald's. Unless I'm going for breakfast where real bacon exists and biscuits aren't cookies and I can get a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit.

However, it does have it's purposes.

For instance, when I get really, really homesick it is quite useful. When the homesickness reaches 10 out of 10, I take a brisk walk - to counteract the calories I know are coming - and go to McDonald's to get a Big Mac.

I don't like Big Macs; but my mom does. Of course, she only indulges about once every 3 years, but still, it reminds me of her. So, I go and eat my Big Mac and think of home.

Last night as I was walking to game night, McDonald's was in the air. The wind was just right so that I caught a whiff of it for about the first 10 minutes of my walk.

I think that's going to be my new strategy for those homesick days - walking downwind of the arches so that I can smell the comfort without paying the caloric price.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it taste the same as it does here?! I love love love McDonalds..even though it's SO unhealthy!
~Kimberly

bo said...

You know, I don't really know if it tastes the same since I haven't had American McDonald's in so long. Hmmm. Maybe I can do a taste test while I'm at home, although Taco Bell and Mexican food are MUCH higher on the priority list.

Erin said...

Do your British friends assume that all Americans love McDonald's? My Ukrainian friends do, but my opinion is really more along the lines of yours...it's good for a homesickness fix. :)