Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Snowdrops and Space

The town I live in is nestled down into a little valley.  And traditional British homes are built on top of each other - you almost never see a stand alone house.  They are mostly duplexes or row houses.  I live in a flat.  One of the good things about such an arrangement is that it makes it possible to walk most places, but the downside is that sometimes I just long for space.  It's like that song in Newsies, "I want space, I want air, let them laugh in my face I don't care, save a place for me there . . . "  Granted, it's not Santa Fe that I want a place in like the song says, but I do miss the concept of a yard and all that it encompasses at times.  On Saturday, a friend and I headed to Nymans Gardens, a National Trust site, to assuage my desperate need for space and to take advantage of the partly sunny afternoon.  They advertised sensational snowdrops and spectacular views so we couldn't resist.

Snowdrops were everywhere.  If you're not familiar with them, they are one of the first bulbs to bloom.

When there are a lot of them they really do resemble a carpet of snow.

A close up view.  They are so dainty!

The ruins of the house.  Very gothic looking.  I think it epitomizes the romanticized ideals we Americans have of England.

Space!  And sunshine!

The house from the back.

This tree makes me think of "The Circle of Life."  I kept bursting out into song when we would see it from different view points.   
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba . . . oops, sorry, I still can't help myself!

More house.  Somehow I never tire of seeing old houses.  Thank you, Mom, for making me look at tons of old houses when I was growing up even when I was a grouch about it.

More space . . . it just calls to me.

More snowdrops.  I think the National Trust lived up to its advertising.  They were sensational!

1 comment:

Erin said...

The house makes me think of the abbey in "Northanger Abbey" (which, by the way, BBC did a fabulous production of. I highly recommend). So glad you got some space!