Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lacock Abbey

After the Wentworth-ing on Saturday, it was time for my favorite pastime in England . . . yep, you guessed it - National Trust-ing!  We headed to Lacock Abbey since it was in the general vicinity of the Wentworth Factory.  Here it is in pictures:

Springing is springing - not fully there, but the snowdrops, crocuses, and daffodils are all at various stages in their show.

The Abbey that was turned into a house during the dissolution under Henry VIII.  Can you feel the melancholy?

These are the kitchen windows.  Can you imagine a house where these are the kitchen  windows?  It boggles the mind.

A view from the side.  The turret isn't original - it was added in the 1500s.
I'm not good at describing the vastness of some of these houses, so I though I'd show you.  This is the entrance.  It dwarfed me.

Room from the original abbey - built in 1232.  I know, 1232, and I stood in there!  My American brain still has difficulty fathoming the history.

Cool window looking into a window.

The original cloisters.  I'm still not over it - 1232!

I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, but for those of you that need a frame of reference, this room was used in several of the films.  The cauldron dates to 1500.  FYI - this was the warming room - the only room with a fire during the abbey days.  I don't know how they stood it.  It was freezing the day we were there!

Cool organ from the 1800s (or was it the 18th century . . . I must start writing these things down).  I got to play it.  The hymn "Have Faith in God" has probably never sounded so poorly done.

Old-timey refrigerator white board.  Flip tabs.  Very neat.

Stone table carved in 1550 - that's during Henry VIII's time.  It has stood in the same place for 462 years.  Two factors - it weighs a lot and, after being in that room, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit through the door.  I don't want to know how it got in there. 
View of the archway entrance.

Robert Frost, anyone?

The purple "carpet" is made of crocuses. 
It was very fairy-tale-esque.

No comments: