Monday, October 11, 2010

Excuse me, do you know where I can find the sugar?

Grocery shopping in another country is always an adventure.  The hardest part (aside from reading the labels in another language - thankfully that's no longer an issue) is trying to think how they would logically organize the store.  To this day, and I've lived here 15 months now, I still have to stop and try to "think British" to figure out where some things are.  Here's a smattering so that you can get the picture.
  • Flour - located one aisle over from the bread beside the tinned fruit - at least bread is made with flour
  • Applesauce - located with the ketchup - they are both "sauces"
  • Salad Dressings - located above the frozen vegetables - of course
  • Pickles - Polish pickles are located in the world foods aisle - of course!  But the rest are above the frozen chips, aka french fries
  • Fresh milk - located next to the refrigerated fruit juices and across from the refrigerated "kid friendly" desserts - all other dairy is on a completely different aisle
  • Shelf milk - with the tea of course
  • Baking cocoa - with the coffee
  • Eggs - located on an unrefrigerated aisle across from the ethnic foods
  • Sugar - In the "baking" aisle with the flour?  Nope! In the cookie aisle with other sweet things?  Nope!  I know, I know . . . in the candy aisle because candy is made with sugar?  Nope!!
Sugar is located in the tea aisle . . . where else would it be?!

1 comment:

BeckyR said...

Good job! I think you've just about got them all located. :-)