Monday, March 22, 2010

White Cloud

Since living in the UK, I have been introduced to quite a few weather forecasts that I never heard of in the States. On any given day, or hour, you can have one of the following forecasts. Notice the different nuances of meaning.

White Cloud
This phenomenon occurs when the clouds are so thick, you can't see any sky or any sun.The clouds are completely white so it's not really dark. It's really hard to explain, you just have to experience it.

Gray Cloud
Gray cloud occurs when the clouds are really thick and very dark. In this type of weather pattern, it appears dark at 3:00 even if it doesn't really get dark until 5:30 or 6:00. No visible sky or semblance of sun.

Partly Cloudy
Patches of thin clouds, usually white, with blue sky and sun or stars visible at times.

Sunny Intervals
This means short periods of visible sun and blue sky in between the normal white cloud cover. This is not the same as partly sunny in the US.

Light Rain
Drizzly weather conditions with gray cloud all day long - quite morose. Make sure to carry a "happy" umbrella for your frame of mind.

Heavy Rain
Lots of rain, requires wellies and the happy umbrella from above. Prepare to be splashed by passing cars. Again an all day event.

Light Rain Shower
The most acceptable of all rain-inclusive forecasts. This means rain with intervals of clear sky in between. Happy umbrella still required.

I like all of the ones involving the word sun. Of course, without the rainy ones it wouldn't be nearly as lush and green. And you wouldn't appreciate the sun quite as much - but I still vote for sun!!!!

Tomorrow's forecast: Sunny Intervals - woo-hoo!!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love how you said "wellies". You're so British now.