Thursday, April 1, 2010

Maundy Thursday

Question: "What is Maundy Thursday?"

Answer: Maundy Thursday is the Thursday of Passion Week or the day before Good Friday. The focus is on two events, when Jesus celebrated the Last Supper with His disciples beginning the Lord's Supper and when Jesus washed the disciples' feet setting the example for us to serve one another in humility. The word maundy is believed to have been derived from the Latin word for command - referring to the command given in John 13:14-15.

And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you.

Tonight as I was walking to the Maundy Thursday service at church - just want to point out that it was still light at 8:00pm - I didn't quite know what to expect.

It was a good service of reflection and remembrance of the events leading up to Jesus' death on the cross. Wow - He knew the sacrifice required of Him, but He willingly did it because of His great love for me . . . for you . . . for everyone.

There was no foot-washing at our service, although apparently it can happen, and the grape juice during communion was the kind that makes you shake as it goes down because it has a funny wang, and I didn't know a single song that was sung - where is Were You There when you need it? But . . . it was truly great to experience part of the Easter traditions in a different place and to remember that God loves the whole world.

I pray your Easter weekend is full of moments to reflect on your personal relationship with God, His awesome love for you, and the special gift of redemption that you can receive because God sent His only Son, Jesus, to die on the cross to pay the ultimate sacrifice for your sins.

Special thanks to gotquestions.org for help with the meaning of Maundy Thursday.

No comments: