Thursday, February 25, 2010

Have you wiggled your mouse?

The organization I work for has been going through massive amounts of change over the last year and a half and continues to do so as we speak. One of the transitions we are working through right now is a change-over of the computer database system. As anyone who has switched computer databases knows, there are always a multitude of challenges that no one anticipated.

One of the things that I have discovered, being the perpetual guinea pig, is that the new system periodically crashes. I open it to find an account . . . it crashes. I try to run a report . . . it crashes. I log in . . . it crashes. Okay, so maybe that one was for dramatic purposes, but you get the picture.

Frustrating? Yes.

Fixable? Hopefully.

Funny? Not particularly . . . until the other day.

When I have difficulty, I dutifully log my errors through the proper channels. One of the errors I get is a black screen that is totally stuck and won't do anything - for hours at a time (I know, I time it) - and I usually have to call someone to reset a server to fix it.

So, the other day, I get "the black screen of death" as my colleagues and I have lovingly nicknamed it. So, I go through the proper channels to log the error. The answer comes back.

"Have you tried to wiggle your mouse?"

Are you kidding me??????? Yes, I wiggled my mouse. I'm a reasonably intelligent person that works with computers 8-9 hours a day!! I even know how to blog!! I did indeed wiggle the mouse! Duh!

All you can do is laugh at this point. It's gone beyond funny to ridiculous, but it's given us a great tag line in my office.

Then I was reading last night:

If you need wisdom, ask our generous God,
and he will give it to you.
He will not rebuke you for asking.
James 1:5

I wonder how may times I don't do the "Duh" thing and ask God to give me direction. More times than I can count I'm sure. So my new resolution is to "wiggle my mouse" more often.

So, have you wiggled your mouse?

1 comment:

Erin said...

Breanne,
I would NEVER even think of insulting your intelligence with such a suggestion! However, I think it's great that you were able to pull such a useful lesson from it!