Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Do You Wentworth?



Whimsy Pieces
 I have a new addiction.  Wentworth Puzzles.  They are wooden puzzles with very uniquely shaped pieces.  For instance, all of the edge pieces may not be straight - it could just be a point that goes on the edge.  Or there might be a straight edge in the middle of the puzzle.  Oh, and don't forget the super-cool whimsy pieces!  They are pieces that might relate to the theme of the picture.  For instance, in a recent puzzle I worked, there were pieces shaped like a tulip and a butterfly - the picture was of a garden.  Or another puzzle was about music and there was an entire symphony in whimsy pieces, even down to the conductor!

This is an edge piece - I know - I could
hardly believe it either!

A 40 piece puzzle that is slightly bigger than an index card can provide you with 20-30 minutes of fun!  The largest I've attempted is a 250 piece that's about the size of a piece of paper - I don't think I'm brave enough to go bigger than that!  It took five of us about an hour and a half to do that one.  The 1500 piece Wentworths just scare me!


All fright aside, they are an excellent brain stimulant for those cold, gloomy winter days that are coming.  So, I think you should Wentworth if you don't already.  Some might call it being a puzzle snob, but if you look out for sales you can be posh for less.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I LOVE this! I've never actually done one of these, but now I want to look them up and acquire one!