Saturday, July 3, 2010

My First Chipotle Experience

So, it seems a bit extravagant to go all the way to London to indulge in an American restaurant, but if you already live in England, I guess it's not so bad. Apparently Chipotle is legendary among some of my American friends (who couldn't believe I had never experienced it), so when it was discovered that one had just opened in London it was a can't-be-missed event. I must say, it was the closest thing to Mexican food that I've had outside of the US. And, yes, I do realize that it sounds funny to say that, but I've never been to Mexico.

Of course, with a train ride into London, that couldn't be the only thing accomplished. We also went on a tour of Bank of England - which is only open a few days a year - and paid a visit to the "only Benjamin Franklin House remaining in the world" where he lived while negotiating on behalf of the American colonist during the days before the Revolutionary War. It seemed fitting given the upcoming holiday.


Plaque proclaiming that Benjamin Franklin lived here. Herman Melville also lived on this street. It must have been quite "the" place to live back in those days.
The house. He lived here for sixteen years while negotiating on behalf of the American colonist to abolish the Stamp Act and other taxes. In 1775, he made a "hasty departure." I think that's polite British code for "they ran him out of town and he had to flee for his life."

No comments: